ORC- Week 3

orc

It’s week 3 of the One Room Challenge, and we’re chugging right along over here with our office/lounge makeover!  The one thing that I’m most excited about is the flooring.  Last week, I told you guys we were thinking of going with a DIY wide-plank floor, in a herringbone pattern.  You guys. Omg. I didn’t realize I could be so in love with a bunch of pieces of 1×6, but, I’m obsessed.  I love them. They went down easier than I thought, after one quick- “oops I kind of forgot about that whole math/geometry thing”  moment.  We were trying to figure out a good length, so went for the natural- let’s try 1 ft, 2 ft, 3 ft and so on.  We settled on the 2 ft length being the best fit for the room, so I started cutting and laying down the pieces… and it didn’t quite work right.  oops!Then I had my lightbulb moment and realized… oh wait, the length needs to be a multiple of the width due to how the pattern runs, and 1x6s are actually 5.5″ instead of 6′. So, a few inches shaved off of each one to 22 in, and we were back in business.

much better!Then I just had to fill in the shorter pieces, which was also nice and easy at 5.5, 11 and 16.5 inches each (the cuts worked out really nicely with a 6-foot board, we had very little waste on this project!).

heart eyes.
heart eyes.

Now that we have the whole floor laid, the only things left are to nail it down and pick our stain/poly.  We decided to give the boards some time to acclimate to the room and do any expanding/contracting before we nail them in so we don’t end up with any big gaps or bowing.  Since we already have it laid in the pattern though, nailing them down will be super quick once we’re ready.  It also gives me a little more time to agonize over stain colors that are almost the same but just minutely different enough to keep me up at night… and don’t get me started on satin or matte poly!  I’ll get there, haha. (Let’s just not discuss the fact that I still can’t settle on the wall color either….).

pretty floors, hard decisions.
pretty floors, hard decisions.

Other than the floors which were our big week 3 accomplishment, we have the sheetrock up on the walls, and have started receiving fun things that I then get to assemble.

it looks like a crazy science experiment!
it looks like a crazy science experiment!

I got a great deal on this sputnik light on amazon, which generally means “some assembly required”.  Assembly hasn’t been too bad, but twisting all those wires together so that they all have contact might be tricky (and with my luck, we’ll get it up there and all but 1 pesky light will work!).  Totally worth it though, and I’m excited to see how it looks in the space!

I also ordered the leather chairs from my mood board, and those should be in by next week.  So excited with how it’s coming along, and even more excited that I’m at the point where the dramatic changes start (once I make some decisions, that is!).  I’m officially making  a commitment to everyone:  I’ll have stain/paint color choices picked out next week so I can start making the room pretty. Boom. Deadline.

In the meantime, don’t forget to see what all the other fabulous bloggers are up to with their own ORC spaces!

10 thoughts on “ORC- Week 3

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *